Friday, July 16, 2010

Day Zero, Goal #70

Well, it took a bit of searching and a whole lot of patience, but I have finally secured a regular, permanent part-time job! Now I'll have to call that inventory company and tell them I won't be available..

ANYWAY it's in retail, but at a store I really love that sells products I am super passionate about. They're starting me out at a very competitive wage (almost $3/hr more than I currently make in the laboratory!) and have guaranteed me 1 weekend day shift plus a few night shifts during the week. This should add about $750 to $1000 into my monthly cashflow (seriously!) so I'm excited to put this additional income towards all my savings goals.

I am a bit concerned with holding a part-time job through grad school, but I'm far more concerned about not having one. Once my income starts getting deducted to pay my tuition fees, there will be very little left over. I really don't want to live any tighter than I already am, so a part-time job is all but a necessity. Additionally I'm hoping that the flexibility of graduate school and my awesome boss will provide me with a more accommodating schedule than that which overtook my life to complete my BSc.

Grad studies is a huge commitment, and it's even harder when I think about how much more money I could have if I a) was able to work full-time and b) didn't have to deal with that pesky tuition thing. Nevertheless, some findings of my present job-hunt have actually kept me motivated to stick it out in grad studies: the jobs I can have after. Such as this one, this one and this one! Oh, someday.. you can't come fast enough.

So that was DayZero Goal #70: find a sustainable source of second income. Check!

2 comments:

  1. I want to do this Day Zero thing however, is it considered cheating if I list the things I've already accomplished?!

    ReplyDelete